The cell and gene therapy market was valued at USD 4.99 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 36.92 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 39.62% during the forecast period. Cell and gene therapies are advanced medicinal products that are used to treat severe and rare diseases, cancer, and other communicable and non-communicable diseases. In recent years, increasing research and development in cell & gene therapy has boosted market growth. Government, as well as industrial and academic financing and collaboration among small and large biopharmaceutical companies, offer significant growth to the market in the coming years.
The global cell and gene therapy market is one of the fastest-growing segments of the global regenerative medicine market. The market is growing at a healthy rate and this trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. This surge can be attributable to the growing prevalence of various chronic diseases like cancer, cartilage-related problems, wounds, diabetic foot ulcer, genetic diseases, and other rare diseases across the globe.
Based on the product segments, the cell therapy market dominates the global industry. Further, based on applications, the oncology segment dominated the industry.
Gene therapy gathered the pace from last 2 decades because of the discovery of several genes responsible for mutation in various diseases. The advancement in this field and innovative technologies are giving a new era for biological therapeutics. Also, PRIME Designation and marketing authorization for products provide a new opportunity for the manufacturer's financing and revenue generation.
- As per the American Society of Cell + Gene Therapy report in 2021, increasing the number of products, application rate, and products in clinical trials drive the market growth.
- As per the Dive Biopharma report 2021, biotech companies who actively engaged in regenerative medicines and therapies reported USD 14 billion funding only in six months of 2021 which was reported to be USD 19.9 billion for the overall year.
- In 2021, new 16 & 18 new products are in pipeline for cystic fibrosis and sickle cell respectively. The increasing burden of rare diseases and rising support from governmental authorities for rare diseases solutions is driving the global cell and gene therapy market growth.
- In 2020, Gilead acquired Kite Pharma with a deal of USD 11.9 billion. After this acquisition company engaged in the expansion in the oncology segment to becoming a leader in the cell therapy industry.
CELL AND GENE THERAPY MARKET TRENDS & DRIVERS
- In the gene therapy market, the most often cited acquisitions were that of bluebird bio and BioMarin. Also, Gilead Sciences, Biogen, Vertex, and other smaller companies turned to M&As to fill their product pipeline gap.
- In the global cell & gene therapy market, manufacturers are becoming highly competitive in recent years due to the increasing demand for regenerative medicines and the rising opportunities for various cell & gene therapies.
- In recent years, numerous high-value M&As clearly indicate that the major players in the pharmaceutical industry are looking at CAR T-cell therapies as an attractive growth opportunity for several players in the upcoming years.
INSIGHTS BY THERAPY TYPE
In 2020, around USD 2.3 billion in funding was reported only from private companies for gene therapies. Hence, the increased funding for gene therapies in small and medium manufacturing companies is propelling the growth of the market in recent years.
INSIGHTS BY APPLICATION
The increasing target gene therapies for dermatological disorders, rising demand for wound healing, and burnt skin treatment will drive the demand for cell & gene therapy solutions. In 2021, the Alliance Regenerative Medicine Report showed the increasing interest of manufacturers towards CGTs for dermatological diseases. As per the report, around 27 new products were in pipeline for dermatological diseases in 2021.
INSIGHTS BY END-USERS
The rising demand for advanced therapy medicinal products over traditional medicine, and revenue generation opportunities for healthcare systems and hospitals including cell & gene therapy manufacture with their own capital, and growing partnerships among biotech firms and hospitals are the major factors that are fueling the development across hospitals segment in the cell & gene therapy market.
INSIGHTS BY GEOGRAPHY
North America: High economic status and high expenditure on healthcare services drive the cell and gene therapy market in North America. National Health Institutes, industries, academic institutes, and hospitals are the significant contributors of sponsorship and financial funding for cell and gene therapy products.
Europe: The increasing funding is driving the Europe cell and gene therapy market growth consistently. Around USD 2.6 billion financings were reported in Europe for CGTs in 2020, which increased by 103% compared to previous years. In the cell therapy segment, USD 1.8 billion and in gene therapy, USD 2.3 billion funding accounted in 2020, which increased by 196% and 111% respectively
- The key players in the cell and gene therapy market are Gilead Sciences, Novartis, Smith Nephew, Amgen, Organogenesis, Roche (Spark Therapeutics), Dendreon, Vericel, and Bristol-Myers Squibb Company.
- An increasing number of mergers and acquisitions gives new potential to the industry growth. Gilead Sciences acquired Kite Pharma in 2020. Also, Novartis acquired Avexis in 2018, and Smith & Nephew acquired Osiris Therapeutics.
- Although prominent vendors dominate the industry, they witness heavy competition from regional and local companies from India, China, Italy, the UK, and South Korea.