Poland used construction equipment market size was estimated at USD 402.4 million in 2021 and expected to reach USD 523.4 million by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 3.82%. A surge in government investment in infrastructure development Under National Recovery Plan is expected to drive demand for used Construction Equipment. The expected number of used construction equipment units sold by 2028 in the market is 25,885.
The country has started infrastructure upgradation projects such as redeveloping roadways under the Road safety program. Further, the upgradation of railway stations & airports is expected to drive demand for used construction equipment in Poland. The government’s focus on increasing renewable energy capacity by 2030 under Energy Policy 2040 drives demand for material handling equipment. Poland witnessed a surge in warehouse space across the country in 2021. The country’s E-commerce and logistics industry growth triggers the demand for large warehouse spaces in major cities such as Warsaw, Poznan & Upper Silesia. Growth in the logistics & E-commerce industry is expected to positively impact the demand for used forklifts & telescopic handlers in Poland's used construction equipment market.
- The Earthmoving segment has the largest share in Poland used construction equipment market. Excavators held the largest share in the earthmoving segment in 2021.
- The demand for compact equipment such as mini excavators and mini loaders is gaining market share in the country. Small & medium contractors prefer to buy used compact equipment for digging, stone piling, and handling medium size loads at construction sites. Poland is facing the challenge of rising labor costs, so contractors prefer to buy these machines to reduce dependency on construction laborers.
- European Union Funded Polish National Recovery Plan aims to promote economic activities and focus on green energy mobility. The fund is allocated to achieve different objectives such as Resilience & Competitive economy (13%), Green mobility (21%), Efficient healthcare system (12%), Digital Transformation (14%), & Green energy (40%).
- Supply of used construction equipment was hampered during COVID-19 as Poland imports nearly 80% of used construction equipment from Germany, Netherlands & other European Countries. Used construction equipment demand is expected to remain steady in Poland used construction equipment market due to the rise in public infrastructure projects in 2022.
- The rise in construction material and labor costs is a significant challenge in Poland. According to the Polish Association of Construction industry, construction materials such as iron, steel, cement, and concrete prices will increase by 22% by 2021.
MARKET TRENDS & DRIVERS
Government Investment In The Development Of Transport Infrastructure & European Union Recovery Resilience Plan
The surge in infrastructure investment under the Nation Recovery Plan is expected to drive economic recovery. In 2021, the European Union granted USD 24.9 billion under its Recovery & Resilience Program. Additionally, in 2021, the Polish government unveiled its plans to invest USD 44.6 billion in the development of roads and railways. There has been a considerable rise in investment in the country’s renewable energy sector, as indicated by a grant of USD 735 million for solar & wind projects. Also, the government planned to invest USD 3 billion under National Railways Program. Thus, the growth of transport infrastructure & renewable energy sectors is expected to propel the demand for earthmoving equipment, such as excavators & loaders in Poland used construction equipment market.
In 2021, the Polish government introduced Energy Policy 2040 to develop the renewable energy market. The government aims to increase solar & wind capacity by 32% by 2030. In addition, the country also planned National Energy and Climate Plan for 2021–2030 and aims to achieve ~23% of energy production by renewable resources. According to the Institute of Renewable Energy, Poland's Solar photovoltaic capacity in 2022 exceeded 10 GW in May and is expected to reach 12 GW by the end of the year. The country aims to increase solar capacity to 20 GW by 2025. These steps of the nation toward renewable energy will propel the growth of Poland used construction equipment market.
Infrastructure & Public Transit Projects Increases Used Construction Equipment Utilization
In 2022, the Polish government doubled the investment in the railway's development plan. Nearly USD 2.1 billion will be allocated for constructing 1,200 kilometers of railway lines across Poland in 2022. The government also planned to invest USD 75 billion under National Railways Program in 2021; this program is focused on developing 230 infrastructure projects in railways sectors and the upgradation of 8,999 kilometers of railways lines. The railway's development projects are dedicated to modernizing southern Poland's Chorzow-Zdunska Wola region and linking seaports in the Gdansk, Swinoujscie, & Gdynia region of the country. Such railway development projects will boost Poland used construction equipment market growth.
The country is also investing in improving roadways and planning to build 100 ring roads from 2020-2030 across the nation. A fund of USD 5.9 billion is allocated for developing 820 kilometers of ring roads across the country in 2020. Growing transport infrastructure is expected to drive demand for earthmoving & road construction equipment in Poland used construction equipment market.
Rising Coal Mining Activities Are Expected To Drive Demand for Large Used Construction Equipment
In 2022, the Polish government planned to increase coal production at the nation’s coal mines to manage the soaring energy prices and reduce the dependency on Russian energy sources. Poland's coal mining companies benefited from the government's focus on supporting coal mining. According to Industrial Development Agency, the mining sector’s revenue went up to USD 5.5 billion in June 2022 compared to USD 2.7 billion in June 2021. The government is also providing subsidies for buying coal used for heating purposes in households in 2022. The surge in coal mining activities is expected to drive demand for large used excavators, cranes, loaders & motor graders in Poland used construction equipment market.
Growing Cycle Pathways Construction Projects Triggers Demand for Used Road Rollers
The Polish government promotes cycling to reduce carbon emissions in the transportation industry. In 2021, the government invested USD 337 million and USD 66.7 million for the construction of bicycle pathways in the Podkarpackie & Weikhopolskie regions of the country. In 2022, the government planned constructing 120km of cycle pathways in 11 regions. The project is planned in Bedzin, Chorzow, Czeladz, Dabrowa, Gornicza, Gliwice, Katowice, Myslowice, Ruda Slaska, Sosnowiec, Swietochlowice & Zabrze regions of the country. It is expected to start by 2023 and expected to complete by 2024 end. The growing project of cycle pathways triggers the demand for used road rollers in Poland used construction equipment market. Demand for used smooth-wheeled and pneumatic rollers is expected to grow with rising cycle pathways projects across the country in 2022.
Rising Raw Material & Labour Costs Restrict the Demand for Used Construction Equipment
The Polish construction industry is adversely impacted by a shortage of raw materials and rising labor & energy prices in 2022. Labour shortage is one of the significant issues in the industry, and nearly 40% of construction companies' operations are hampered due to a labor supply shortage. One of the significant reasons behind the depletion of labor in the market is the ongoing Russia & Ukraine War in 2022. According to Polish government data, nearly 400,000 foreign labor workers in the industry, of the majority of ~80%, come from Ukraine.
The war also adversely impacted the supply of raw materials in the Polish market. The country is also facing rising inflation and a spike in energy prices in the Polish market in 2022. Rising Raw material & labor cost is expected to impact ongoing infrastructure projects across the country, which can restrict the growth of Poland used construction equipment market.
Declining Poland Housing Market Can Impact Used Construction Equipment Market
The Polish housing industry witnessed a sharp decline in 2022, and the sector is adversely impacted by rising building material prices and a rising number of immigrants from Ukraine. Further, a sharp rise in the inflation rate impacting consumers buying capacity resulted in a 21% decline in building permits in Jan 2022 compared to Jan 2022. According to Poland Statistics data, housing project prices rose by 9.3% in 2022 compared to the previous year, 2021. Housing sales severely declined by 53% in Q2 2022.
- Key vendors in Poland used construction equipment market are Caterpillar, Volvo Construction Equipment, Liebherr, Komatsu, Hitachi Construction Machinery, XCMG, Hyundai Construction Machinery, JCB, and Kobelco.
- Other prominent vendors are Manitou, TUR Poland, Yanmar, & LiuGong.
- Excavators & Backhoe loaders under the earthmoving category of Caterpillar, Volvo Construction & JCB equipment have the strongest market share in Poland used construction equipment market.
- Yanmar & TUR Poland are niche players in the Polish market; they only offer excavators & loaders.
- Hitachi Construction Machinery & Hyundai Construction Equipment focus more on developing zero carbon emission equipment for European markets. In 2022, Hitachi Construction Machinery launches its first zero emission 5-ton battery-powered excavator in the European market.