The U.S. commercial scrubbers and sweepers market is expected to reach USD 1.54 billion by 2027 from USD 1.02 billion in 2022, growing at a CAGR of 7.15%. The market has witnessed consistent growth over the last few years and is expected to continue during the forecast period. The development of automation and robotics in commercial floor cleaning is reshaping the U.S. commercial scrubbers and sweepers market, with rising adoption in industries such as warehouses and distribution, airports, and other high-traffic areas. This professional equipment provides highly efficient cleaning across all sectors. With the increasing adoption of automation, consumers use technology in many daily chores, including cleaning.
Commercial sweepers and scrubbers can help maintain the overall cleanliness and hygiene of industrial and commercial spaces. Commercial sweepers and scrubbers can provide an efficient cleaning method in commercial places such as shopping malls, airports, railway stations, healthcare facilities, and educational institutions, where regular cleaning and maintenance are necessary. Futuristic inventions in mainstream robotics and other complementary technologies will likely boost investor confidence in the market, thereby increasing VC funding.
Key Winning Imperatives in the U.S. Commercial Scrubbers and Sweepers Market
- Cleaning agencies have been increasingly focusing on adopting sustainable cleaning technologies recently.
- Manufacturers like Nilfisk, Tennant, and many others are investing in R&D facilities to produce sustainable cleaning products.
- Adopting automation and robotic technologies can significantly change the cleaning industry.
IMPACT OF COVID-19
The new normal in the U.S. has drastically changed the dynamics of the cleaning industry. Due to the pandemic, consumers worry about the importance of safety, technology, and hygiene. Maintenance of proper hygiene is expected to be the primary concern in transport facilities such as aircraft, railways, and buses. With limited international travel, the local travel industry is expected to keep the demand for cleaning services afloat.
Hospitals and commercial spaces dominate the commercial scrubbers and sweepers market in North America. Moreover, during the outbreak of the COVID-10 pandemic, autonomous floor scrubbers experienced a surge in demand from the end-users, such as hospitals, airports, education facilities, sports facilities, shopping malls, and many more. This is owing to the public’s focus on maintaining the hygiene of public spaces.
KEY TRENDS & DRIVERS
Growing Demand for Green Cleaning Technologies
Green cleaning mainly refers to products and services negatively impacting human health and the environment. Industrial cleaning equipment manufacturers constantly evolve technologies to meet various sustainability needs.
Growing Demand in Warehouse & Distribution Facilities
Autonomous floor cleaning equipment demand is growing significantly in warehouse and distribution facilities. Autonomous or robotic scrubbers can ensure superior floor cleaning without involving manual labor, thus reducing the operating costs of the facilities.
Higher Efficiency and Cost-effectiveness than Manual Cleaning
Regular cleaning of high-traffic areas and manufacturing plants can be tiresome and time-consuming when cleaned via traditional methods. Commercial floor scrubbers and sweepers can easily clean these industrial and commercial spaces, thereby reducing the time involved in cleaning and the labor cost. Commercial cleaning equipment is also more effective than manual cleaning methods.
Longer Replacement Cycles
Professional cleaning equipment such as commercial sweepers and scrubbers are designed for long-term use and don’t require frequent replacement. As a result, this equipment does not require to be purchased frequently, which is another challenge for the sales growth of commercial sweepers and scrubbers.
- The Scrubbers segment is expected to be the largest in the U.S. Commercial Scrubbers & Sweepers market by product type. The market is segmented into scrubbers, sweepers, and others based on product type. The scrubbers segment is anticipated to maintain its dominance during the forecast period. Commercial scrubbers are one of the most versatile, hygienic, and green cleaning equipment available in the market. They come in various sizes and use different technologies to ensure efficient cleaning across all verticals. They are further segmented into walk-behind, stand-on, and ride-on variants by operation type. Walk-behind commercial scrubbers dominate the U.S. market with 51.44% of the market share in 2021.
- The U.S. commercial scrubbers and sweepers market is dominated by battery-powered commercial scrubbers and sweepers, which accounted for 46.86% in 2021 based on the power-source segment. Battery-powered floor cleaning equipment is generally easy and convenient to operate. Battery-powered equipment is also more advantageous than electric equipment as it does not need cable trails, allowing the machine to be moved freely. Industrial and commercial floor cleaning machine manufacturers adapt lithium-ion batteries because of their higher productivity, longer runtime, zero maintenance, and lesser charging time. Lithium-ion batteries can last for 3−5 years, depending on their usage.
- By End-users, Contract Cleaning is the largest U.S. commercial scrubbers & sweepers market segment. Contract cleaners accounted for a majority share of the market in commercial scrubbers and sweepers, accounting for approximately 14.13% of the U.S. share in 2021. The outsourcing of cleaning tasks among local authorities and businesses has been rising consistently. In the U.S., the contract cleaning industry is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7.06% during the forecast period. The primary motive of hiring contract cleaners is to save time and money. Major drivers of the contract cleaning industry are increasing disposable income, rising construction expenditure, and growing business establishments.
The Northeast region dominated the US commercial scrubbers & sweepers market and is expected to remain the same during the forecast period. The region accounted for a 30.37% industry share in 2021 and is expected to witness an absolute growth of 60.71% during 2021–2027. On a commercial level, flexible workspaces and IT infrastructure with a heavy focus on sustainability have significantly grown. The region has the cleanest programs, mechanisms, and policies that can enhance the adoption of green cleaning services. The region also has skyscrapers, especially in states such as New York, that can drive the industry for scrubbers and sweepers.
The Western U.S. commercial scrubbers & sweepers market consists of developed and fast-growing states. Some of them are Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, Idaho, Washington, and Hawaii, which are primary hubs for several end-user industries. With its diverse and robust economy and massive interest in engineering, agriculture, and technology, Washington has intensified the scope of using automated solutions in cleaning services. The state’s information sector is particularly robust in developing various IoT-enabled systems.
The U.S. commercial scrubbers and sweepers market is well-established, with many players operating there. The rapid technological improvements adversely impact the market vendors as consumers expect continuous innovations and product upgrades. The present scenario drives vendors to alter and refine their unique value proposition to achieve a strong industry presence.
Prominent players dominating the U.S. commercial scrubbers and sweepers market include Nilfisk, Tennant, Kärcher, Hako, and Factory Cat. Nilfisk and Tennant mainly produce high-end professional cleaning products, while Kärcher produces both high-end and mid-market products. Nilfisk, another major player, has introduced hybrid power technology scrubbers and sweepers that can function on both combustion engine and battery power. The significant players constantly compete to maintain the leading industry position, with occasional competition from local vendors.